Monday, December 22, 2008

Rolling into the Holidays

Three years ago, my dad asked me what it felt like to be pregnant at Christmas. You know, the spiritual significance of it and all that. My answer? A poignant, “I don’t really know.” At that point, I still had 6 months until my due date, didn’t look pregnant, and didn’t feel pregnant. I just felt the same as always, so I couldn’t really say what it felt like to be pregnant at Christmas because in just about every way, I didn’t feel it at all. At that point it seemed to only really be an actuality in my head. This year, with a new baby at Christmastime, I feel the significance much more.

I had the Christmas music on earlier today and heard the song, “Mary Did You Know?” and it nearly brought me to tears. As I listened to the lyrics, I began to think about our boys and the hopes and dreams we have for them. While I don’t know that they will perform miracles or lead the masses (although you never do know, do you?), I believe they will do great and wonderful things. Thinking about that filled me with joy, holiday cheer, and a bit of sadness thinking of how quickly they are growing up and wanting to make sure I don’t miss a minute of it!

Jack amazes us all the time. He’s been holding his head up practically since birth, and last week, at only 5 weeks old, he surprised us by rolling over! Dave and I had, ahem, “debated” over who would be the one to give Matt a bath and put him to bed and I was upstairs taking care of that when Dave called up to me that Jack had just rolled over. Imagine my surprise (and annoyance over losing our debate!)! Matt was a few MONTHS old the first time he did that! When I was done putting Matt to bed I made sure to have a discussion with Jack about not doing anything “new” unless Mommy’s there to see it! The next morning, I tried to get him to do it again, and he did it twice! I got the second one on video because I could hardly believe it, so I had to make sure I had proof for others to see, haha! He has also started cooing, talking to his mobiles, and smiling from time to time. I have yet to catch that one on camera though.



We have been busy getting ready for the holidays, as everyone else is, as well. All gifts have been purchased and the wrapping is almost done. The lights are up, cookies are baked, and the tree is decorated. Now all we have to do is avoid the stomach virus that Matt seems to have brought home! He started with it on Saturday and continued a bit on Sunday, although he was acting his usual self most of the time in between. He did feel well enough to help with decorating the tree. He had fun doing it and we’re hoping he’s on the road to recovery and that the rest of us don’t get sick! Last time he brought home the stomach bug, it nailed all of us, so we’re really hoping to avoid that this time, especially with Jack being so young and Christmas being so close!

We hope that everyone has a safe and happy holiday full of friends, family, and good memories. We’ll be sure to update with holiday pictures soon!

One of our nativity sets. My mom says it's blasphemous. I think it's cute :)
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment